POSITION TITLE: Treasurer / Chief Financial Officer
POSTING DATE: MAY 28, 2019
Location: Mountain State ESC main office, Dunbar
Salary: Based on experience and qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 24 hours in accounting and a minimum of a 2.5 GPA; CPA certificate and/or MBA degree preferred.
- Three (3) years of administrative or related work experience.
- Broad knowledge of:
WVEIS and the related agencies to which accounting interacts.
Grant process and requirements of the WVDE.
School operations and WV Department of Education preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively interpersonally and in a virtual environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles for governmental entities required.
- Demonstrates above average skills with Microsoft Office preferred.
- Demonstrates understanding of MIS and skills to properly manage data and information.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB GOAL: To successfully complete all tasks associated with the position of Treasurer / Chief Financial Officer for Mountain State Educational Services Cooperative (MSESC) and administer the financial affairs of MSESC. Said areas of responsibility and/or associated tasks of the position shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, the preparation of the annual operating budget and all budgets created within various programs; to prepare monthly and annual financial statements for all funds maintained by MSESC; to invest all available funds for either short or long term periods in interest-bearing accounts and to determine the amounts of such investments at the best return available; oversight of the preparation of payroll and related functions; oversight of accounts payable and oversight of the accounts of individual programs and projects to ensure the resolution of any findings noted.
- Possesses a positive attitude and the ability to work in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrates full compliance with the requirements of the Employee Code of Conduct in the performance of assigned job responsibilities.
- Demonstrates responsibility, integrity, impartiality, objectivity, patience, and tact in the performance of assigned responsibilities.
- Adheres to local, state, and federal confidentiality laws and policies.
- Communicates with employees and the public in a manner that reflects well upon MSESC.
- Fosters a good working relationship with co-workers.
- Maintains a neat professional appearance.
- Attends council meetings and/or provides such reports as requested by the Executive Director.
- Oversees and directs the operation of finance for MSESC within the realms of accounting, budget, and treasury.
- Develops and manages the annual budget and oversees the budget development process for MSESC as well as all programs and projects within MSESC.
- Controls the treasury function – investments, etc. – as allowed by law and Council policy.
- Maintains budgetary controls to ensure that expenditures are in accordance with the approved budget.
- Prepares and monitors the allocation of fiscal resources to various system programs and projects.
- Provides supportive leadership to coordinators regarding the development of an annual budget as well as the monitoring of expenditures during the fiscal year.
- Monitors all areas of the operating budget and provides a financial analysis of such as requested by the Executive Director.
- Receives requests to adjust budget accounts and recommends to the Executive Director approval for budget transfers.
- Receives and reviews all supplemental budget projects and recommends to the Executive Director approval for budget supplements.
- Prepares monthly financial reports of revenue, expenditures and balance of all funds, and presents copies of the reports to the council and/or other parties as directed by the Executive Director.
- Prepares monthly financial reports of all special program revenues and expenditures.
- Fulfills all areas of responsibility associated with the capital assets inventory system.
- Provides or makes provisions for periodic training on the financial reporting requirements of individual MSESC sites.
- Works closely with departments to develop revenue to maximize resources for the MSESC.
- Submits required reports to the West Virginia Department of Education Office of School Finance and/or the West Virginia Board of Education and does so in a timely manner.
- Completes tasks associated with audit procurement, preparation of annual financial statements, auditing of those financial statements, prepares staff members for upcoming audits, and periodic audit checks to maintain efficiency.
- Maintains ethical business processes required for the efficient financial operation of MSESC.
- Participates in decision making as a member of the Executive Director’s administrative team.
- Provides exemplary leadership for staff members in the finance department to assure effective and efficient operation.
- Participates in continuing professional development activities and maintains a current certification as a chief financial officer. Attends conferences when requested by the Executive Director.
- Works in a cooperative manner with administrators, county administrators and staff members of the West Virginia Department of Education regarding actions of the finance department.
- Reviews the financial effectiveness of AEPA and other MSESC programs to enhance the solvency and growth of the cooperative.
- Performs other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 240 days
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 14, 2019
Resume Must Include:
1. List of educational institutions attended, course of study, dates attended, and certificates earned.
2. List of employers for the past ten years, including address and name of
3. Description of responsibilities/work experiences in previous employment.
4. Alignment of work experience with posted Job Description.
5. List of at least three (3) references including addresses and telephone numbers.
Send Application & Resume:
Ms. Jan Hanlon, Executive Director
Mountain State ESC
Dunbar, WV 25064
or download the region’s application and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
MSESC WILL GRANT EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES TO ALL PERSONS, REGARDLESS OF RACE, AGE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, OR NATIONAL ORIGIN AND NO DISCRIMINATION BASED ON THESE FACTORS WILL BE MADE IN THE SALARY, PROMOTION, DEMOTION, TRANSFER, OR TERMINATION
OF ANY EMPLOYEES.