Substitute Teacher Training
Substitute Teacher Training Program
Mountain State ESC offers online substitute teacher training for new substitutes and for those who need to renew their license. See the information below to determine if substitute teaching is right for you.
Completion of the course is not a guarantee for employment or licensure. Each county personnel office handles hiring of substitutes. You will need to check with the county you wish to work in to determine their need.
Policy 5202 requires initial certification candidates to complete 18 hours of training (12 hours coursework and six hours observation). Renewals require 12 hours of coursework.
Please note: If you pay online, you will receive an email with an invitation to join the course within 72 hours.
LOOKING TO EARN MONEY WHILE EXPLORING A NEW CAREER PATH?
SUBSTITUTE TEACHING COULD BE YOUR CALLING!
SEEKING SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS FOR WEST VIRGINIA!
Position Training & Application Requirements:
- Online Course
- MSESC offers substitute teacher trainings for new substitutes and for substitutes in need to renew their licenses.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- 2.0 GPA
Complete the following Steps:
Contact your county board of education office prior to enrolling in the course.
1. Go to www.mountainstateesc.com and click on Substitute Teaching in the blue header.
2. Complete online registration form.
3. Pay registration fee of $125 online or via money order or cashier’s check and make payable to Mountain State ESC. If you are paying with a money order or cashier’s check, please send to Mountain State ESC, 501 22nd Street, Dunbar, WV 25064.
4. You will receive a welcome email and an invitation to join the Canvas course within 72 hours.
5.Create a STUDENT account on Canvas
6. There are seven modules in the course. Complete all readings and take the quiz at the end of each module.
7. Contact the county personnel director and arrange for your six hours of classroom observation.
8. Go to the arranged school (classrooms) for your six hours of observation. Take a copy of the Guided Classroom Observation Form and obtain signatures from all teachers observed.
9. Using notes from Guided Classroom Observation, type your responses. All prompts should be answered thoroughly.
10. Upload your Classroom Observation and signature pages into the Assignment section of Canvas
11. You will receive a Certificate of Completion to take to your county board of education’s office to apply for your short-term substitute permit.
12. Complete any paperwork, background check, etc. required by the county.
Office: (304) 766-0011 ext. 24
If you hold an expiring substitute teaching license, you will complete the following steps:
1.Register for the renewal course at www.mountainstateesc.com
2. Send a money order or cashier’s check for $100 to Mountain State ESC or pay online when you register
3. Sign up for an account on Canvas
4. Follow directions provided in your welcome email
5. Complete the modules and pass each quiz.
6. Complete the Reflection Form and submit.
8. Upon receipt of certificate for course completion, go to county Board of Education and complete paperwork necessary for application of renewal substitute teacher license. You will also need to complete any paperwork required by the county. Completion of the course does not guarantee employment.
9. Your renewal license is valid for 3 years and will expire on June 30 of the third year. It is your responsibility to renew your license.
HAVE A QUESTION? CONTACT US
501 22nd Street
Dunbar, WV 25064