POSITION: K – 3 Literacy Specialist
LOCATION(s): Multi-County (Hancock, Brooke, Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel, Tyler, Pleasants, Doddridge)
REPORTS TO: Director of PK – 12 Academic Support WVDE, MSESC Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Full-time (241 Days)
JOB SUMMARY: The employee will work cooperatively with the central offices and school-based instructional staff in a multi-county region to implement science of reading and writing best practices in elementary classrooms with an emphasis on grades K – 3. The specialist will support the implementation of literacy components of county-wide and school level strategic plans. The primary area of focus will be providing strategic support for instructional staff and teachers.
- Collaborate with county offices in the assigned region to support the implementation and training of educators in the science of reading and writing to include but not limited to professional development, coaching, and observations.
- Assist teachers and/or MTSS teams in implementing county or school reading programs supporting the science of reading and writing.
- Help administrators/teachers use screener/benchmark data to identify students needing intensive intervention and use the data to plan for all levels of tiered instruction.
- Work with the classroom teacher to provide reading and writing instruction designed to meet the individual needs of students.
- Work with county, school, classroom educators and MTSS teams to monitor student progress.
- Work collaboratively with the WVDE office of K – 12 Academic Support, the WVDE Early Learning Technical Assistance Center at the Marshall University June Harless Center to design literacy resources, provide technical assistance, and ensure consistent messaging of WVDE literacy initiatives.
- Participate in Professional Development as requested by supervisor(s).
- Maintain a monthly time and effort log.
- Complete other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the WVDE Director of PK – 12 Academic Support and/or the MSESC Executive Director.
- Masters degree in education and holds or qualifies for a teaching certification in elementary education or multi subjects. Additional certification in reading, special education or National Board Certification preferred but not required.
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of quality standards-focused instructional design that is rigorous and relevant and includes research-based instructional strategies necessary for student’ success in the classroom.
- Demonstrate expertise in the integration of technology within the classroom.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and delivering professional development sessions and instructional coaching that meets the needs of adult learners.
- Knowledge and experience in co-teaching and multi-tiered system of supports as related to improving student achievement.
Send Application & Resume:
Ms. Jan Hanlon, Executive Director
Mountain State ESC
501 22nd Street
Dunbar, WV 25064
Or download the application Job Postings | Mountain State Educational Cooperative Services (mountainstateesc.com) and submit along with support documents via email to email@example.com by 3:00 p.m.
Resume Must Include:
- List of educational institutions attended, course of study, dates attended, and certificates earned.
- List of employers for the past ten years, including address and name of immediate supervisor(s).
- Description of responsibilities/work experiences in previous employment.
4.Alignment of work experience with posted Job Description.
5.List of at least three (3) references including addresses and telephone numbers.
Mountain State ESC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or age.