TITLE OF VACANCY: Jobs & Hope WV – Transition Agent
POSITION TYPE: Professional
ADMINISTRATIVE UNIT: Mountain State Educational Services Cooperative
LOCATION: Moorefield, WV
The Transition Agent is assigned to conduct needs assessments and build a personalized plan for each participant as
the participant transitions through recovery or re-entry and prepares for potential education and career opportunities.
This Transition Agent will develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all agency partners to assist the
participant in overcoming barriers in the development of education and employment goals that match the participant’s
skills, interests, and experience.
• Assess the participant’s education, work experience, skills, needs, abilities, qualifications and job interest as well as
the participant’s readiness for job referral, classroom training, on-the-job training, and support services.
• Works with businesses, agencies, and organizations to identify job vacancies, remove barriers to employment, and
resolve issues related to integration and independence for individuals with barriers to employment.
• Markets available services to businesses and community organizations.
• Disseminates information by providing education, outreach, and trainings to the general public, businesses,
employers, and community organizations.
• Conducts regular follows-up with the participant’s employer and reports results to appropriate staff.
• Refers the participant to Adult Education programs as applicable.
• Identifies employment barriers such as a missing/expired birth certificate, social security card, driver’s license, or
other identification, and assists the participant in overcoming these barriers.
• Conducts daily job searches and development activities directed toward positions that are customized to the
interests and uniqueness of the participant.
• Conducts and/or arranges workshops to assist the participant in identifying potential employment barriers and how
to overcome these barriers.
• Assist with resume writing and ensures the completion of employment applications.
• Helps the participant to obtain competitive employment, ensures job retention, and creates sustainable career
paths by teaching new and incorporating existing, soft and hard skills that can help fulfill short- and long-term
• Maintains case notes on the participant’s progress.
• Prepares reports of vocational training and progress made toward vocational adjustment and employment
outcomes, as well as other necessary documentation records.
• Performs administrative duties such as tracking all job referrals, placements, and other job/internship development
activities daily and weekly.
• Establishes a close relationship with treatment and recovery programs, and drug courts in the designated region.
• Is knowledgeable of all appropriate support services from other agencies and coordinates referrals for the
NOTICE OF VACANCY
An Equal Opportunity Employer
• Provides employment reports to the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) Program Coordinator.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the WVDE Program Coordinator.
• The transition agent demonstrates strong inter-personal skills, and the ability to work with diverse populations
facing crisis situations in a professional and diplomatic manner.
• The transition agent demonstrates self-control and exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
• The transition agent demonstrates ethical conduct and good work habits such as punctuality and attendance.
• The transition agent works effectively as a member of a team within a multi-disciplinary framework.
• The transition agent has excellent communication skills, oral and written, excellent presentation skills using current
technologies, and the ability conduct and participate in meetings.
• The transition agent maintains a valid driver’s license.
• The transition agent has experience working with individuals with employment barriers, preferably with some job
development or directly related experience.
• The transition agent is self-motivated and demonstrates the ability to manage multiple tasks/assignments to
accomplish high-quality work to meet demanding deadlines with little direct supervision.
• The transition agent is knowledgeable in the field of addiction, treatment, recovery help, and employment trends.
• The staff member demonstrates self-direction and the ability to use software applications for personal productivity
• The transition agent has existing employer contacts and experience presenting to business and industry.
• The transition agent maintains confidentiality of participant records and program files.
• Position includes extensive regional travel.
• Associates degree in education, social work, or human services field; bachelor’s degree preferred. Job knowledge/
work experience or life skills considered in lieu of degree.
• Extensive experience using different types of technology devices such as telecommunication (webinar), computers,
software (fiscal software, databases, online and learning management software, personal productivity software
etc.), mobile devices, etc.
This position is a will and pleasure employee of the Mountain State ESC. Continuation of the position is dependent upon
funding, enrollment, and program performance. Each employee is subject to termination at any time, with or without
notice, cause or compensation. Reasons for termination include, but are not limited to immorality, incompetency,
cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or
guilty plea or pleas of not contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies, lack of
need, or lack or loss of funding.
SALARY: $42,636 to $55,636 commensurate with education level and years of related experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIVING OF APPLICATION: November 29, 2019 @ 4 p.m.
NOTE: Candidates for employment must complete a cover letter, resume, and official application form. Resume must
include list of educational institutions attended, course of study, dates attended, and certificates earned; list of
employers for the past ten years; description of responsibilities /work experience in previous employment; alignment of
work experience with posted job description; list of at least three references including address and telephone numbers.
APPLY TO: Jan Hanlon, Executive Director, 501 22 nd Street, Dunbar, WV 25064
www.mountainstateesc.com/job-postings OR email email@example.com
DISCRIMINATION PROHIBITED: Mountain State ESC will grant equal employment opportunities to all persons,
regardless or race, age, religion, color, sex or national origin and no discrimination based on these factors will be made
in the salary, promotion, demotion, transfer, or termination of any employees.