POSITION: Educational Sign Language Interpreter I
LOCATION: Logan County
EMPLOYMENT TERM: 200 Days
POSITION TYPE: Service
SALARY: Accordance with the Service Salary Scale
EVALUATION: Performance in this position will be evaluated by the immediate supervisor
JOB SUMMARY: Educational Sign Language Interpreter I means a person employed to provide communication access across all educational environments to students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Responsible for providing sign language interpreting for assigned student, to include conferring with students and educators to analyze student’s communication needs. Works cooperatively with school personnel and students to provide coordinated interpreting services to students.
- Complies with Policies.
- Works cooperatively with school personnel and students to provide coordinated interpreting services to students.
- Work under the direction and supervision of the teacher/professional to whom assigned.
- Interpret for students utilizing the students preferred mode of communications.
- Provide interpreting during the school day in academic and non-academic settings with staff, peers, and other hearing impaired and deaf students.
- Confers with educators to plan for interpreting services.
- Demonstrate self-improvement in signing ability, interpreting skills, communications with school personnel, and understanding the educational process by attending staff meetings.
- To assist students and perform other related duties as indicated by teachers and administrators.
- Receives close supervision and verbal instruction.
- To fulfill duties as described in IEP.
- To act as liaison between educators.
- To assist teachers and bus drivers in monitoring student’s activities
- Attends in-services and workshops as directed.
- Follows all safety rules and regulations and uses prescribed personal protective equipment.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- An Educational Sign Language Interpreter I holds the Initial Paraprofessional Certificate;
- Must be able to translate the spoken word at a normal conversational rate using signed English, ‘pigeon’ English, and other sign systems;
- Be able to reverse interpret (voice interpret) from sign language to the spoken word; have some knowledge of deafness ad hearing impairments and their effect on language development.
- Employed as an educational sign language interpreter I and is required to complete any Testing.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Recommended by the MSESC Executive Director
- Confirmed by the MSESC Governing Council.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is a will and pleasure employee of the Mountain State ESC. Continuation of the position is dependent upon funding, enrollment and program performance.
Send Application & Resume:
Ms. Jan Hanlon, Executive Director
Mountain State ESC
Dunbar, WV 25064
Or download the application at Job Postings | Mountain State Educational Cooperative Services (mountainstateesc.com) and submit along with supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 11, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Resume must include:
- List of educational institutions attended, course of study, dates attended, and certificates earned.
- List of employers for the past ten years, including address and name of immediate supervisor(s).
- Description of responsibilities/work experiences in previous employment.
Alignment of work experience with posted Job Description.
- List of at least three (3) references including addresses and telephone numbers.
Mountain State ESC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or age.
July 29, 2021