POSITION: Clerk of the Works
POSTING DATE: January 19,2023
REPORTS TO: MSESC Executive Director and/or County Superintendent or designee
EMPLOYMENT TERM: 240 Days
SALARY: Based on qualifications and experience.
- Observe the quality and progress of the construction to determine in general that it is proceeding in accordance with the Contract Documents. Notify the Owner, Architect/Engineer and School Building Authority, if applicable, project representative immediately if, in the Clerk-of-the-Works opinion, work does not conform with the Contract Documents or requires special investigation by the Owner, Architect/Engineer or Contractor.
- Monitor the construction progress and assist in the preparation of progress reports required by the Owner or School Building Authority.
- Review Contract Documents with the Contractor’s superintendent so as to have a complete understanding of the scope of the project.
- Consider the Contractor’s suggestions and recommendations, evaluate them, discuss them with the Architect/Engineer, Owner and the School Building Authority’s representative and assist the Architect/Engineer when applicable in making a final decision.
- Attend project meetings as the Owner’s representative and report to the Owner in writing on the proceedings.
- Observe tests required by the Contract Documents. Review testing invoices, if any, to be paid by the Owner.
- Maintain records at the construction site or as directed by the Owner in an orderly manner in accordance with the Owner’s and School Building Authority’s procedures. Include correspondence where applicable, such as Contract Documents, Change Orders, Construction Change Authorizations, Architect’s/Engineer’s Supplemental Instructions, reports of site conferences, Shop Drawings, Product Data, Samples, supplementary drawings, color schedules, requests for payment, names and addresses of contractors, subcontractors, and principal material suppliers.
- Keep a logbook containing project progress and reports and submit reports on the progress of the Contractor’s work to the Owner, and the School Building Authority’s project representative. The log must contain activities related to the project, weather conditions, nature and location of work being performed. The Project Architect/Engineer will provide Observation Construction Reports documenting his site visits.
- When applicable, provide assistance to the Architect/Engineer upon request in reviewing Shop Drawings, Product Data and Samples.
- When applicable, observe the Contractor’s Record Drawings at intervals appropriate to the stage of construction and notify the Owner and Architect/Engineer of any apparent failure by the Contractor to maintain up-to-date records.
- Review Applications for Payment submitted by the Contractor with the Architect/ Engineer and assist in making recommendations for disposition.
- When applicable, assist the Architect/Engineer in reviewing the list of items to be completed or corrected with is submitted by the Contractor with a request for issuance of a Certificate of Substantial Completion. When applicable, assist the Architect/Engineer in reviewing the documentation and record documents to be furnished to the Owner by the Contractor at Substantial Completion, and verify that the Contractor has met the requirements of the Contract Documents for training the Owner’s personnel in the operation and maintenance of all building equipment and systems.
- When applicable, assist the Architect/Engineer in final inspection of the work. Assist the Architect/Engineer in reviewing the documentation and record documents to be furnished to the Owner by the Contractor upon completion of the work.
- Assist the Owner on small projects by observing the construction and reporting progress and quality of work being performed by the Contractor. At no time shall the Clerk-of-the-Works assume responsibilities of the Architect/Engineer, Architect/Engineers representative or the Contractor in charge of the construction.
- Clerk-of-the-works will not be required for projects requiring Construction Managers.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director and/or Superintendent or designee.
- Proven track record managing school building projects or projects of similar size
- Ability to determine if quality and progress is in line with the contract documents
- Ability to work with various members of the team (i.e Owner, Architect, Engineer, and School Building Authority)
- Strong people and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
Send Application & Resume:
Ms. Jan Hanlon, Executive Director
Mountain State ESC
501 22nd Street
Dunbar, WV 25064
Or download the application Job Postings | Mountain State Educational Cooperative Services (mountainstateesc.com) and submit along with support documents via email to email@example.com by 3:00 p.m. on January 26, 2023
Resume Must Include:
- List of educational institutions attended, course of study, dates attended, and certificates earned.
- List of employers for the past ten years, including address and name of immediate supervisor(s).
- Description of responsibilities/work experiences in previous employment.
- Alignment of work experience with posted Job Description.
- List of at least three (3) references including addresses and telephone numbers.
Mountain State ESC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or age.