Position: Grant Writer
Location: Dunbar, WV
Mountain State Educational Services Cooperative (Mountain State ESC) seeks a part-time Grant Writer to work with County Commissions, School Districts, County Administration/Finance, Economic Development Teams, and other local governments to seek grant opportunities, draft and submit grant applications, and provide grant research and application review in areas that support school systems, local governments, and other entities as identified by Mountain State ESC. The Grant Writer will seek out funding of Federal, State, and private funding agencies. This position coordinates closely with various departments to help fund identified project needs.
Grant Research and technical assistance
- Proactively seek grant opportunities for School Districts, County departments, and programs as prioritized through government, corporate, foundation, and private funding sources.
- Identify and utilize funding resources, grant databases and other sources to provide relevant information about grant opportunities.
- Grow and maintain relationships with variety of local, state and federal funding organization staff.
- Disseminate grant opportunities to appropriate departments and boards.
- Provide grant review and editing technical assistance to departments and boards as requested.
- Become knowledgeable of regulations and compliance responsibilities with all grants including the GAN, FAQs, CFRs, and other communications from the granting award source.
- Increase knowledge through training opportunities as budget allows.
- In conjunction with School Districts, County departments and boards, compile and share spreadsheet of potential available grants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Help develop and implement grant writing program parameters for departments and boards including items such as information form, list of available services, service and contract agreements, fee structure, guidelines and check lists.
- Arrange or provide grant writing training opportunities for school districts, county departments and boards.
- Communicate with economic development team, departments and boards marketing needs such as flyers, presentation materials and publicity.
- Be comfortable making public presentation if needed and working directly with clients.
- Prioritize grants where there is a lack of staff capacity and a priority project already identified.
- Evaluate projects and their readiness for funding and determine timeline and sources. Provide advice on how projects might be ready in the future and how grant reporting and compliance will be handled.
- Determine proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, and attending strategy meetings.
- Coordinate grant requirements with contributors, identifying strengths and weaknesses associated with proposals.
- Meet proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, needed approvals, support letters, and submission for each application.
- Draft proposal by assembling all information including project concept, objectives/ outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
- Write for readability, consistency and tone; revise, and edit drafts.
- Prepare grant proposal presentation(s) as needed, evaluating text, graphics, binding and coordinating printing.
- Improve proposal-writing results and quality by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, coordination, and templates.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferred Master’s Degree
- Grant Writing Experience, preferably with Education or Economic Focus
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Organized with ability to implement systems and follow up processes
- Proficient in research, interpreting, and analyzing data
- Excellent computer skills and database management skills
- Motivated, with the ability to work collaborative and independently
- Previous grant budget development and management
- Record of securing grants
- Knowledge of the grant application process, scoring criteria, and funding cycles
- Knowledge and/or understanding of federal grant application, funding, approval, and management of funds
Send Application and Resume:
Ms. Jan Hanlon, Executive Director
Mountain State ESC
501 22nd Street
Dunbar, WV 25064
Or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mountain State ESC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or age.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Recommended by the MSESC Executive Director
Confirmed by the MSESC Governing Council
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is a will and pleasure employee of the Mountain State ESC. Continuation of the position is dependent upon funding, enrollment and program performance.